The 2020 season at SSC has kicked off early with some keen members making a trip to the Blythburgh White Hart on New Years Day!
Say goodbye to the cold snowy weather and welcome the warmth and sunshine that will be coming over the horizon soon! It’s time to start thinking about getting involved at Southwold Sailing Club in 2018.
The 2018 programme has been finalised and we can now give you a glimpse of whats in store. Giving you more reason than ever to participate in the sailing and social scene at SSC this coming season.
Volunteering opportunities available such as Bar staff, Cooking, Fundraising events.
A casual blind Wine tasting accompanied by a selection of cheeses supplied by Slate Cheese shop in town. With various wines to taste ranging from Adnams best sellers to Super Market Wines, the highest rated wines will be stocked behind the bar for 2018. Can you taste the difference?
We are offering the chance to win a bottle of wine from the tasting if you can guess the Country of origin, the ABV and the grape used in the wine.
Click here to book your ticket for this 2018 icebreaker.
Our programme has been tailored to cater for all ages, agility and abilities. We aim to provide easy access to sailing for all offering something for everyone.
- Taster Opportunities-including open days and ‘bring a guest’.
- Learn To Sail Programme-offering members 4 training sessions included in their membership. Training is given in Laser Pico’s & Wayfarers.
- Sunday Funday’s-throughout the season consisting of general sailing, casual racing, picnics and fun.
- Swallows & Amazons-monthly river trips along the River Blyth for all, specifically focused towards the older and less agile members who prefer a tranquil sail. Picnics and pub lunches up the River Blyth.
- Spring, Summer and Autumn Series-series of races with trophies up for grabs.Trophies are presented at the Annual Dinner and Prize-giving.
- Sea Sailing-for the more experienced sailors who are hungry for some high performance sailing. Laser 2000’s used for this activity.
- Cruiser Programme-Cruiser trips to Lowestoft for lunch at the RNSYC with opportunities for members to go along. East coast sailing to River Deben, Longer passages to Holland.
- Incentives to Volunteer-regular Safety Boat training sessions are offered to members who volunteer in assisting with the running of activities. From July we will be running RYA Power Boat Level 2 courses for volunteers. We also hold regular shore based ‘Wind & Tide Reading and Sea State Prediction’ sessions which help members to develop their own thought process, enabling the less experienced members to determine the suitability of weather and sea conditions. We are also looking to invest in members with the right level of experience and who want to take on a larger role in running activities by helping them to complete an RYA Dinghy Instructor Course.
Our dinghy fleets are comprised of:
- 7 Laser Pico’s–these are single handed dinghies great for kids and adults to learn sailing in and for messing around in.
- 2 Toppers–these are great for really small people as they are lightweight and easy to manoeuvre.
- 3 Wayfarer dinghies–these are double handed dinghies and great for learning to sail in. They are stable and good for less agile sailors too. They comfortably seat around 4 people. They are great for a stepping stone to a Laser 2000.
- 3 Laser 2000’s–these are a higher performance sailing dinghy, less stable and more demanding. More suited towards experienced sailors.
The activities at Southwold Sailing Club only happen as a result of its members taking a turn in helping to run the activities. Whether it’s the bar, refreshments, running the sailing or providing safety cover on the water we would really appreciate some help in return for some training that will help improve your skills too. Unless you already have lots of experience of course.
Please take a look at some of the duties and roles that we really require some help with and if you fancy having a go at any please select some dates and register your name for the task.
Volunteer Bar Staff
Throughout the season we plan to have fortnightly social gatherings which will range from casual drinks and nibbles to larger events such as music and dinners. We really need volunteers to help work on the bar for these events so please sign up for the odd date by clicking here. Training given.
Click here for the duties for this role.
Whenever there is sailing taking place, there is always someone in charge. The OOD gets everything ready in the morning, they work closely with the safety boat crews, following operating procedures and check lists to help guide them, make decisions to ensure the environment is safe and fun for the sailors and run the days sailing/racing. You don’t need to have lots of experience although the more experience you do have the easier you will find it. If you are keen to have a go then we will be right by your side! Depending on the weather this could be at sea or river and generally for Sunday Fundays. Training can be given along side. Click here to volunteer!
Swallows & Amazons will be taking place along the River Blyth. If you fancy having a go at OOD Duties for this then it is recommended that you know the channel well as it can be hazardous. If you don’t know the channel well then we can be by your side while you get to figure it out. Click here to volunteer!
See here for details of the role including Safety Boat and RIB operating procedures and check list.
We have 2 Safety Boats and each one must be occupied by a competent helm and at least one helper. Without safety crew sailing can’t take place. It’s good fun watching the sailing for a change and being ready to offer assistance to a sailor keeps you on your toes. We can be by your side while you gain the experience. Click here to volunteer!
If you are an existing member and would like to renew your membership or if you would like to become a member of SSC please download and complete a membership application form.
We offer 40 dingy parking spaces and 13 spaces for cruiser hard standing. If you would like to store your dinghy/cruiser then please complete a Dinghy Parking and Hard Standing application form.